Search Party may be (maeby?) the most Williamsburgy show ever. Alia Shawkat (the indie darling best known as Maeby from Arrested Development) stars as a millennial who becomes an amateur sleuth when a former college classmate goes missing, so you might call it Nancy Drew meets The Bedford Stop. And the marketing folks at TBS are going all-out to appeal to their show’s home neighborhood: In addition to the banner ads right here at Bedford + Bowery, there are murals on Wythe Avenue. And now the coup de grâce: a pop-up shop on Bedford that will double as a venue for events featuring 2 Dope Queens and Widowspeak.
Not to be left out, the good ol’ Lower East Side also got an early taste of the show before its Nov. 21 premiere: Last night there was a marathon binge watch at Metrograph, followed by a party where Shawkat and her co-stars Brandon Michael Hall, John Early, and John Reynolds tore up the dance floor. Kyle Mooney of SNL also made the scene.
If you didn’t make it to that, you can still get in on the pop-up, which aims to be the kind of place lead character Dory would find so cool (complete with midcentury-mod “living room”). That means skincare products from Malin + Goetz, books from Strand, Polaroid-style cameras from Impossible Project, and vintage goods from smallhome and Antoinette Brooklyn.
Note that New York magazine is a sponsor, but trust: That’s not why we’re writing about this. We saw the Search Party pilot (and a Q&A with Shawkat) back when it stormed SXSW and the show, directed by Charles Rogers and Sarah-Violet Bliss of Fort Tilden, is the most sardonically hilarious narrative series about millennials to come along since Broad City.
Here’s a look at the pop-up programming, courtesy of the organizers:
- Daily Offerings
- Custom coffee bar + hot chocolate by Toby’s Estate (12-3pm)
- Exclusive social giveaways including exclusive, hard-to-find items sourced in partnership with NYMAG
- Thursday, November 17
- Cast & Creator Visit (2-3pm)
- Happy Hour by Egg, including local craft beers, wines and hard ciders (5:30-6:30pm)
- In-store art piece by Timothy Goodman unveiled
- Friday, November 18
- WNYC’s 2 Dope Queens host a live podcast with the SEARCH PARTY cast and creators (6:30pm)
- Saturday, November 19
- NYMAG & The Cut host a day of professional head shots by Atisha Paulson, custom nail art by Paintbox and styling and clean ups by Fellow Barber (12-4pm)
- Live musical performance by Widowspeak (6:30pm)
- Sunday, November 20
- Sunday Brunch Biscuit Bar & Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice and Mimosas by Egg (12-3pm)
- VIP screening of Episodes 1-2 for Citi Bike members only (3:30-4:30pm)
- Monday, November 21
- SEARCH PARTY Premiere Day – Binge all 10 episodes, score sweet giveaways and swag (12-7pm)
Get inked with a real SEARCH PARTY inspired tattoo by Snow Tattoo (12-5pm)
“In Search Of” Marketplace, open through Nov. 21, noon to 7pm, at 241 Bedford Ave., Williamsburg.