If the dishes at the Lower East Side’s newest Indian restaurant taste familiar it might be because the chef, Razan Kunwar, previously worked over at The Masala Wala on Essex Street.
Sakibur R. Shiplu — a Bangladesh native who moved to New York in 2004 and worked in the kitchens of Wallse and Curry Hill’s Taj Mahal, and has also been a server at Public — opened Khushboo (meaning “aroma”) over the weekend. He’s touting samosas made from scratch and aloo gobi made with a house blend of spices, among other things.
Check out the extensive menu below. Beer, wine, delivery, and a breakfast featuring American grub like burgers and sandwiches are all on the way.
Just like the name, for taste bites. Let’s start our journey with the samples we all love.
• Khushboo Chicken samosa- Shredder chicken cooked with green peas and herbs then stuffed inside this hand-crafted Indian styled empanadas. | 5
• Chicken 65- Spicy chicken sautéed with ginger and garlic and sundried whole red chili. | 7
• Chilly Chicken- Bone-less chicken battered with corn-starch and indo-Chinese spices. | 7
• Chicken Malai Kebab- Bone-less marinated with cream and spices then baked till the chicken in juicy and tender. | 8
• Khushboo Veg Samosa- An Indian empanada, hand-crafted and stuffed with spiced potatoes and green peas. |5
• Paneer Pudina Tikka- Cottage cheese marinated with mint and herbs. | 8
• Vegetable Pakora- Shredder veggies, mainly onions battered and fried and seasoned. | 5
• Aloo Tikka- Potato cutlet made with various spices, crispy outside and soft on the inside. | 5
• Khushboo Gobi- Battered cauliflower seasoned and fried with Indo-Chinese spices. | 7
• Chili Paneer- Cubed chunks of cottage cheese steeped with indo-Chinese spices and bell pepper. | 7
Khushboo Style Chaats
The word chaat actually means “lick”. Chaat is a term describing savory snacks, typically served at road-side tracks from stalls or food carts. Packed with love and flavors.
• Papri Chaat- A combination of fried flour crisps, boiled and seasoned chickpeas and potatoes with tomatoes onions, yogurt, mint and tamarind dressing. | 6
• Bhel Puri- Puffed rice, crispy noodles and tangy tamarind sauce seasoned and garnished with cilantros. | 5
• Dahi Puri- This crispy puff filled with chickpeas and potatoes mint, tamarind and yogurt. Must finish in one bite. | 5
• Pani Puri- The name Pani Puri literally means “water in fried bread.” This crispy puff already filled with chickpeas and potatoes server with tangy tamarind water. | 5
• Aloo Tikka Chaat- A potato patty topped with warm chickpeas, onions, tamarind, mint and yogurt dressing. | 7
• Samosa Chaat- A veggie samosa smashed on a plate and topped with warm chickpeas, onions, tamarind, mint and yogurt dressing. | 7
Khushboo Kati Roll. Pioneered in the streets of Kolkata. Your Selection wrapped in a paratha bread with onions mint dressing and seasonings.
• Aloo Kati Roll- Potatoes simmered with cumin, onions, bell pepper and aromatic of spices. | 5
• Paneer Kati Roll- Shredded Indian cheese sizzled with ginger, garlic and aromatic spices. |6
• Chicken Kati Roll- Our version of rotisserie chicken in a wrap. | 7
• Lamb Kati Roll- Chunks of lamb imbued in chef’s specialty sauce. | 8
These signature entrees are being recreated straight from the pages of our memories. Packed with flavor and served with long grained basmati rice.
Chicken- 14 | Lamb- 16 | Shrimp- 17
• Chicken Tikka Masala- A delicious dish in which marinated pieces of chicken breast are baked in our clay oven and then added to a thick creamy tomato based gravy with onions and bell peppers.
• Jalfrezi – Sautéed vegetables paired with paprika in a tangy sauce and slow-cooked chicken /Lamb or steamed shrimp.
• Shahi Korma- The term “Shahi” in English meaning Royal. This dish has our tender chicken/Lamb or steamed shrimp in a creamy sauce with cashews, almond paste and herbs. This rich gravy perfectly paired with a naan.
• Saag- Boneless chicken/Lamb or steamed shrimp cooked in a puree of lightly creamed spinach combined with Indian seasonings.
• Madras- A perfect combination of garlic, ginger, onions and mustard seeds with chicken/Lamb or steamed shrimp and curry leaf.
• Vindaloo – Garlic, vinegar, and whole red chili crushed and blended together, this naturally spicy and flavorful curry with potatoes.
• Kondapul- Fresh herbs and curry leaf combined with sundried red chilies with coconut milk and mustard seeds and shredded coconuts.
• Mangalonean – Cooked with tomato and onion sauce, red chili and chef’s special masala
• Tikka Masala- Seasoned boneless lamb or steamed shrimp added to a thick creamy tomato based gravy with onions and bell peppers.
• Lamb Rogen Josh- Lamb Rogan Josh is a Kashmiri Traditional curry. This dish is an outburst of flavors of varied spices. Lamb slow cooked with the aroma of cinnamon, cardamom, turmeric, coriander and Chef’s special masala.
• Chingri (shrimp) Malaikari- A famous Bengali delicacy with fresh shrimp, coconut milk ginger mixed herbs and spices.
• Tilapia Mardas- A perfect combination of garlic, ginger, onions and mustard seeds with chunks of seasoned Tilapia and curry leaf. | 16
• Tilapia Kondapul- Fresh herbs and curry leaf combined with sundried red chilies with coconut milk and mustard seeds and shredded coconuts. | 16
• Classic Curry Tilapia- Flavorful gravy combined with seasoned Tilapia. | 16
• Khushboo Classic Salmon Curry- Tandoori oven baked salmon simmered with tomato and onion based gravy. |20
Paneer | 12
• Mattar Paneer- A north-Indian popular green peas and Indian cheese in creamy sauce.
• Kadhia Paneer Masala- Cubic Indian cheese in tomatoes cream sauce.
• Saag Paneer- Classic Indian dish of creamed spinach and cubed Indian cheese.
Chickpeas | 12
• Chana Saag- Creamy concoction of spinach and chickpeas.
• Chana Masala- Most famous vegetarian dish chickpeas simmered in onion and tomato sauce.
• Aloo Chana- Delish delight of chickpeas and potatoes cooked in onion and tomato based sauce with flavors of ginger and garlic.
Veggies | 12
• Navratan Korma- Mixed veg in nuts and raisin in a cashew cream sauce.
• Vegetable Jalfrezi- A sizzling of mixed veg with bell pepper paprika and house special masala.
• Baigan bartha- Exotic preparation of roasted eggplants in tomatoes and onion sauce mashed to perfection.
• Bhinid Masala- Flavored okra dish with house spices and dry mango.
• Aloo Gobi- Potatoes and cauliflower in aromatic house blend spices.
• Gobi Masala- Cauliflower cooked slowly in sliced onions and house blend spices.
• Vegetable Saag- Creamed spinach with mixed vegetables in aromatic house blend spices.
• Aloo Saag- Potatoes and creamed spinach in house blend spices.
Lentils | 11
• Dal Makhani- A very flavorful and creamy black lentils slowly cooked in butter and aromatic spices.
• Dal Tadka- Yellow lentils cooked in aromatic house blend spices.
• Dal Saag- Yellow lentil and a mixture of spinach in aromatic house blend spices.
Long grained rice combined with the choice meat or veggies and special biryani masala then steamed to perfection.
Shrimp 16 |Lamb 15|Chicken 14|Vegetable 12
Our Tandoori a cylindrical clay oven, fired by charcoal can reach up to 900 °F. This oven can cook up the finest meals to its tender perfection.
• Mal Mal Kebab- Boneless Chicken breast marinated for 24 hours with yogurt, sour cream, lemon juice and Chef’s Special seasoning. | 14
• Chicken Tikka – Boneless Chicken Breast marinated with tandoori paste, ginger, garlic black pepper and paprika| 14
• Chicken tandoori- Half a chicken marinated for 24 hours with Indian tandoori paste, paprika, ginger, garlic and chefs special seasonings. | 15
• Chicken Seek Kebab- Ground chicken baked in the tandoori oven. Seasoned with herbs and spices | 15
• Lamb Chop – Marinated for 24 hours with ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, lemon juice and Chef’s special spices. Tender and juicy. | 21
• Lamb Seek Kebab – – Ground lamb baked in the tandoori oven. Seasoned with herbs and spices | 16
• Salmon Tikka- marinated for 24 hours with Indian tandoori paste, paprika, ginger, garlic and chefs special seasonings | 18
• Shrimp Tandoori – marinated with tandoori paste, ginger, garlic black pepper and paprika. Baked until perfection | 18
Sides & Helpers
From breads and dips to rice and side dishes, let these small selection help you to enjoy your meal better.
Soft, fluffy, light and tasty all in the same time. Each slice of Bread is Garneted fresh.
• Garlic Naan- Topped with garlic and cilantros before baking. | 3
• Butter Naan- Brushed with butter. |3
• Onion Naan- Stuffed with sliced onions. |3
• Roti- Whole wheat bread. |3
• Paratha- Soft and buttery flatbread. | 3
• Bread Basket- Assortment of garlic, butter and onion naan. Roti and Paratha (one each). | 12
• Papadum- Round lentil crisps. | 2
• Aloo Paratha- Flatbread stuffed with flavored potatoes. | 4
• Saag– Cream Spinach | 6
• Daal– Yellow Lentils | 6
• Basmati Rice- Long grinned white rice. | 3
• Lemon Rice- Basmati rice sautéed with lemon and mustard seeds. | 4
Chutney (Dips) – Varieties of condiments mainly originated from South Asian cuisine that usually contain some mixture of spice, vegetable or fruit. | 4
• Vegetable Raita ( yogurt based)
Desserts | 5
These are all home-made deliciousness made from scratch.
• Kheer- Rice pudding
• Ras Malai – Cheese dumpling simmered in milk for hours until perfection.
• Gulab Jamun- This is a traditional Indian sweet. Spongy milky balls soaked in scented syrup
• Kulfi- A home-made frozen dairy dessert.
Hot | 3
• Coffee – Freshly brewed daily with varieties of flavors to pick from.
• Chai- Home-made tea made to order
Lassi –Traditional yogurt based smoothie. | 4
• Mango Lassi
• Banana Lassi
• Sweet Lassi
• Salt Lassi
• Rose Lassi
• Soda | 2.5
• Sparkling Water | 4
Khushboo, 6 Clinton St., nr. East Houston St.; (212)-533-2828