The Bowery Mission fed thousands of people on Thanksgiving but its mission continues. And to help out with that, there’ll be a silent auction and art sale at the neighboring New Museum’s ground-floor space at 231 Bowery.
While the Lower East Side’s art types have been frantically preparing for the madness in Miami, they’ve also kept their needy neighbors in mind; dozens of downtown galleries will participate in the first annual L.E.S. Art Drive on Sunday, Dec. 14 from 1pm to 6pm on the New Museum’s ground floor.
Proceeds from the sale of $500 to $5,000 artworks — including the photo above, taken by paparazzo extraordinaire Patrick McMullan after a party at East Village after-hours spot Save the Robots in July of 1985 — will go toward meals, shelter, clothing and other services provided by the 135-year-old outreach agency.
If that’s too steep for you, at least drop into the Mission to check out a new exhibit, Through My Lens, of photos taken by visitors of the shelter who were given disposable cameras.
Here’s a list of galleries and artists that’ll be participating in the Art Drive.
• Robert Aitchison
• Natvar Bhavsar
• Eric Brown
• Callicoon Fine Arts – Tom
• Chrystie Street Studios – Holland
• Cindy Rucker Gallery – Charles Dunn
• Jamie Diamond
• Vincent Dilio
• Mark Dorf
• Essex Flowers – Patrick Brennan |
Justin Berry | Tatiana Kromberg |
• Fourth Arts Block – CAKE
• Frosch & Portmann – Julia Kuhl |
• Gallery Molly Krom – Elise Church |
• Gallery nine5 – Steve Ellis | Jessica
• Nicholas Hamilton
• Andrew Huston
• Invisible-Exports – Philip von Zweck
• Stephen Johnson
• Field Kallop
• Curtis Kulig
• James English Leary
• Danielle Levitt
• LMAK Projects – Joan van Barneveld • The Lodge – Tom Sanford | Pairoj
• Louis B James – Jeremy Couillard • Patrick McMullan
• Sean Mellyn
• Stephen Ormandy
• Rox Gallery – Tom Smith
• Simon Preston Gallery – Josh
• Max Snow
• Sperone Westwater – Malcolm
• Station Independent Projects – Leah
Oates | Kari Soinio | Pierre St-
• Robin Tewes
• Wallplay Gallery – Luca Chiriani • Baron Von Fancy
• Domingo Zapata
Correction: An earlier version of this post misstated that the New Museum was holding the auction. It’s actually being hosted at the museum’s ground-floor space at 231 Bowery.