In light of President Obama’s momentous meeting with Raul Castro in Cuba today, it’s worth pointing out this ghost sign on the corner of Avenue of the Americas and King Street. It’s one of the few remaining emblems of the countries of the Western Hemisphere to hang on lampposts along the avenue.
According to the New York Times, Sixth Avenue was renamed Avenue of the Americas in 1945 to promote trade with the rest of the hemisphere (how’s that workin’ out?). Along with the signs, the City planned to line the avenue with markets from different countries.
Which kind of came to be, as there are four Chipotles on Avenue of the Americas.